Monday, July 8, 2019

The Last Unicorn (The Last Unicorn, #1)

The Last Unicorn (The Last Unicorn, #1)
author: Peter S. Beagle
name: Wayne
average rating: 4.18
book published: 1968
rating: 4
read at: 2019/07/08
date added: 2019/07/08
shelves: sword-and-laser
review:
'The Last Unicorn' by Peter S. Beagle was a recent pick by my book club. It has been on my TBR list for years, so it was finally time for me to read it.

A unicorn living alone in a forest fears she may be the last. She hears a rumor of the other unicorns and sets out to find them. She is joined by an inept magician named Schmendrick, a gruff woman named Molly Grue, and a lovestruck Prince Lir.

It sounds pretty straightforward, but the book winds and meanders. There were times I wanted to give up and move on to the next book. I stayed the course and found myself enchanted. It's a quieter book that rewards the patient reader. It also holds up rather well for something written half a century ago.

My version had the newer novella Two Hearts in it, and I can't recommend it enough. It was a nice afterword.


via Wayne's bookshelf: read https://ift.tt/2YNbpGQ

No comments:

Post a Comment