Sunday, January 7, 2018

California Bones (Daniel Blackland, #1)

California Bones (Daniel Blackland, #1)
author: Greg Van Eekhout
name: Wayne
average rating: 3.74
book published: 2014
rating: 3
read at: 2018/01/07
date added: 2018/01/07
shelves: sword-and-laser
review:
'California Bones' by Greg Van Eekhout is the first in an urban fantasy series about gaining strange powers by consuming bones of powerful creatures. It was the December book for my book club. I enjoyed it, even though it was a pretty light read.

I liked the caper related aspects and the alternate version of LA with it's canals, and famous powerful people still alive through the powers of wizardry (or as it's known in this book, osteomancy).

The world doesn't feel fully fleshed out though. The LA in this book feels like it was written from the perspective of someone who lives in the valley. I wanted more multicultural aspect, but maybe those folks were smart and fled when the wizards starting warring.

I liked it well enough that I would consider reading more in the series.


via Wayne's bookshelf: read http://ift.tt/2qBi89T

No comments:

Post a Comment