Sunday, January 8, 2017

The Rook (The Checquy Files, #1)

The Rook (The Checquy Files, #1)
author: Daniel O'Malley
name: Wayne
average rating: 4.11
book published: 2012
rating: 4
read at: 2017/01/08
date added: 2017/01/08
shelves: sword-and-laser
review:
'The Rook' by Daniel O'Malley was the December pick for the Goodreads book club I am in, Sword and Laser. I enjoyed this pick.

Myfanwy Thomas wakes up with no memory of herself and surrounded by dead bodies all wearing latex gloves. She finds a series of notes from her pre-memory loss self that clue her in on who she is, or rather was. She works for a secret organization that fights darkness and she is a Rook in that organization, that seems to name high positions after chess pieces. Someone in the organization is responsible for her memory loss, and is a traitor. What they didn't count on is that Myfanwy is not the same person that lost her memory.

It's a fun ride: super powers, secret organizations, quips in the face of danger, etc. The characters are pretty interesting.

This sort of set up usually bothers me. Much of the story is told in letters from the past, so they feel to me somewhat like a prologue. I always feel like I'm waiting for the current story to begin. I felt that way for a bit in this book too, but eventually, I got over it and just enjoyed the ride. I did like how the character was so different before and after and even is referred to differently. It's a fun adventure and I wouldn't mind reading more in this universe.


via Wayne's bookshelf: read http://ift.tt/2iYlgaT

No comments:

Post a Comment