Wednesday, November 9, 2016

The Golem and the Jinni (The Golem and the Jinni, #1)

The Golem and the Jinni (The Golem and the Jinni, #1)
author: Helene Wecker
name: Wayne
average rating: 4.08
book published: 2013
rating: 5
read at: 2016/11/09
date added: 2016/11/09
shelves: sword-and-laser
review:
'The Golem and the Jinni' by Helene Wecker was a book I read last month for my book club. It is a historical fiction character study with some urban fantasy thrown in. It was a slower read, but I loved the world and the characters.

Chava is a golem, made for a man travelling to America. When he dies on the voyage shortly after bringing her to life, she is left without a master. She has also been created with some special qualities. Ahmad is a jinni trapped in a copper flask who is freed by a tinsmith in New York. Both Chava and Ahmad are taken in by sympathetic guides who understand what they are. Eventually they end up meeting and decide to use their abilities to fight crime.

Except I made that last part up. They do meet up though. They understand each other and develop a friendship. There are other characters that weave into the story, some tragic, some sinister. I'll leave you to discover them for yourselves.

It's a New York of 1899 and it takes place in two immigrant communities. I loved the setting and the two main characters. I'm glad I got to read this book.


via Wayne's bookshelf: read http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/1772012322?utm_medium=api&utm_source=rss

No comments:

Post a Comment