Thursday, May 26, 2016

Radiance

Radiance
author: Catherynne M. Valente
name: Wayne
average rating: 3.80
book published: 2015
rating: 5
read at: 2016/01/26
date added: 2016/05/26
shelves:
review:
'Radiance'by Catherynne M. Valente called to me with it's decopunk stylizing of old Hollywood and Golden Era SF stories. It won me over with the kind of literary brilliance that I've come to expect from this author. I'm still processing it, and still in complete awe.

It's about a father and daughter, both filmmakers, in an alternate Hollywood, with studio lots on the moon. It's about love and loss and about the lies we tell ourselves when we only know or only can see partial truth. It's nostalgic and splashy. It's cunning and biting. It's romantic and horrific. I'm gushing, aren't I?

It's chapters take place out of order. Each one a type of film journalism. There are red carpet gossip reports, and journals. Memoirs and screenplays. The ending may not be as settled as some may like, but I found the whole thing shimmering and elegant, like a star-filled party under a star-filled sky.


via Wayne's bookshelf: read http://ift.tt/1UwE0rl

No comments:

Post a Comment