Sunday, April 5, 2015

Acceptance (Southern Reach, #3)

Acceptance (Southern Reach, #3)

author: Jeff VanderMeer

name: Wayne

average rating: 3.67

book published: 2014

rating: 4

read at: 2015/04/05

date added: 2015/04/05

shelves:

review:

'Acceptance' by Jeff VanderMeer is the final volume in the Southern Reach trilogy. While we get more hints of what is going on, the book still left me scratching my head.



The book starts shortly after events in 'Authority.' Control is on the hunt for the subject known as Ghost Bird, and Area X appears to be spreading. We also go back in time and learn about Saul, the lighthouse keeper. We find out about the Science and Seance brigade that first began investigating Area X, and we learn who the people in the photograph with Saul are. We also reacquaint ourselves with the psychologist from the first book.



In a narrative that shifts from first to second to third person, depending on the story being told, the reader is pulled deeper into the mystery. Each book is so short, that I wondered about the choice to split the story up into three distinct book, but I think this gives a decided pause between segments. One that I needed just to stop and think about what I'd actually read.



While I don't think the third volume is as compelling as the third one, I still enjoyed it, and I am glad that I found my way to Area X.





via Wayne's bookshelf: read http://ift.tt/1D9gSJc

No comments:

Post a Comment