Friday, August 9, 2013

No Return

No Return

author: Zachary Jernigan

name: Wayne

average rating: 4.13

book published: 2013

rating: 4

read at: 2013/08/09

date added: 2013/08/09

shelves:

review:

Zachary Jernigan's No Return is not an easily accessible work, but for those willing to put the effort in, it's quite rewarding. With strange characters and exotic world building that reminds me of China Mieville, it's a wholly original piece.



The reader is dropped into what feels like the middle of a story. I found myself foundering a bit in the first few chapters until I found my bearings and the rhythm of the story. I don't mind that about a book, but it may be a bit offputting for some.



There are 5 main characters who are very different from one another. Three of them travel on a journey to a tournament, a fighter in a strange black suit, a woman who has lost a child and a mechanical man. The other 2 characters are Adrash, the god who created this world and sits detached, and the one who would challenge his throne. That all sounds pretty standard, but in a world where the currency is bone dust, and a large needle looms over the planet, you can be sure of a strange ride ahead. I really enjoyed it.





via Wayne's bookshelf: read http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/556625133?utm_medium=api&utm_source=rss

No comments:

Post a Comment