Sunday, March 1, 2020

Gideon the Ninth (The Locked Tomb, #1)

Gideon the Ninth (The Locked Tomb, #1)
author: Tamsyn Muir
name: Wayne
average rating: 4.22
book published: 2019
rating: 5
read at: 2020/03/01
date added: 2020/03/01
shelves: sword-and-laser
review:
'Gideon the Ninth' by Tamsyn Muir was the February pick by my book club. My initial impression of the book made me want to pass, but I'm so glad I didn't.

It is the grim and moldering future. 9 houses are all rotting from within when they get a call from the undying emperor to attend a meeting/test. The ninth house is in need of a cavalier to accompany their necromancer and the task falls on the unlikely Gideon Nev who has received so much abuse at her captor's hands that she has developed a bad attitude and sheer tenacity. Now she is a fish out of water in a world beyond her experience, and now people around her are dying.

I loved this book. The wordsmithing is strong here, and character and world building are rich. Gideon is an unstable narrator, and the things we see and understand are tainted by her limited experience with others. Every word seems intentional. If I had one complaint, it might be that the epic fight at the end goes on a bit long, but I'm still glad I decided to read this, and I'm rooting for it this award season.


via Wayne's bookshelf: read https://ift.tt/3apzitr

No comments:

Post a Comment